Japan Travel Visa – 3 Main Japanese Visa Options for Immigrants


Whether you plan to visit Japan as a tourist, student, on a business trip, or to search for work in the country, you will need to understand your obligations regarding qualifying for a visa.

Like most other countries in the world, the Japanese Immigration Office has specific restrictions, guidelines, and requirements regarding who can enter the country and what it is allowed to do once it arrives. More specifically, the officer requests that any foreigner who wishes to enter the country have a valid passport and in some cases – a visa.

Regardless of the official tariffs, the visa is a permit to enter a specific country. Restrict and authorize certain activities on the part of this person as soon as he enters this country.

Japanese visas can be obtained by contacting one of the Japanese embassy or consulate general’s offices in your country of origin. Your choice of office will depend on where you live. The Japanese visa application must be submitted in person. However, if you live in a remote area, you can order by mail in some cases.

READ  Procedure for obtaining a work permit in Poland

Concerning a Japanese travel visa – or another type of visa that you may need to enter Japan – here are 3 main options for a Japanese visa:

1. Stay without a visa:

If your travel plans to Japan allow you to stay in the country for 90 days or less and you will mainly participate in tourist activities or visit a friend or family member, you may be able to travel without a visa. This option is designed for tourists and other short term visitors to Japan.

Certain restrictions apply, of course. For example, you are not permitted to work or earn money in Japan if you enter the country for a visa-free stay. Additionally, when entering Japan to the airport’s immigration area, your passport must be valid for the duration of your planned stay. To change the status of the visa later (for example, to obtain a work visa), you must leave Japan and return later with the new visa.

READ  Immigrate to Thailand and explore the easiest way of Getting a Thailand Work Permit

2. Work visa:

A lot of people travel to Japan to look for work there, and many of them enter Japan after already negotiating a new job or as someone who has been moved from one job to another country. In all of these cases, the Japanese immigration office will first ask for approval to obtain a work visa. Any type of job that allows you to earn money as a foreign resident in Japan requires a work visa.

3. General Visa:

There are other reasons why you might want to enter Japan, but neither as a tourist nor as someone looking to make money. In this case, you will need a general visa. For example, a person involved in cultural activities or studies needs this type of visa. College students, pre-university students, trainees, and family/home stayers must also obtain a public visa to enter Japan. In all of these cases, a public visa is required if you plan to stay in Japan for more than 90 days.

READ  Study Abroad: Top Reasons For Joining a University in Scotland